A few patches ago, Rift started becoming very unstable for me while playing in Wine. My current setup, as the post two below this one states, I’m in Archlinux have Wine setup latest version, and I use the Direct3D registry tweaks. I have an Nvidia card as well, and the graphics are setup just fine.
About thirty minutes to an hour playing, random crash. Wine gives no informative information, even running winedbg on the rift.exe process.
I recently found a post on the winehq forums, for RIFT that experienced the same problem, and last night testing found that adding another option to the Direct3D registry tree did indeed fix the problem.
Adding a new string value “StrictDrawOrdering” without quotes and set it to “enabled” again without quotes.
This did slow down my game some, so, I went on to play again with settings and found that I get a very noticeable increase not only in graphics quality and how high I can set them without graphic related slow downs, but also how fast the system was able to load the textures, players, spells around me by using the latest (beta at the time of this writing) nvidia drivers from the ArchLinux AUR.
The links to packages that I used are: